Disposable Glove Use Guidelines
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continues to evolve, there is a global shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE) — gloves, face masks, air-purifying respirators, goggles, face shields, respirators, and sanitizers. PPE items are now a scarce and precious commodity. As part of these global shortages, CoorsTek has established some general guidance for disposable glove use and the quantities to have in stock to help prevent PPE-related disruptions to our manufacturing operations.
Managing Stock Levels
- Maintain Inventory Levels: All global plants should strive to have two to three months of inventory onsite.
- Purchasing: Utilize CoorsTek’s preferred Suppliers (such as Fastenal or Motion Industries) as your first option to replenish. If your initial/exact item requirements cannot be met, work with your local Fastenal or Motion Industries representative to identify and approve alternative items that are more readily available.
- Establish Secure Stocking Locations: Facilities should remove disposable gloves inventory from “Open Area Storage” or “Supplier provided Vending Machines” to preserve quantities locally. Leads/managers can distribute to employees as needed.
Managing Usage and Reuse
- Replace gloves when the integrity of the gloves is compromised. Examples: rips, tears, chemical degradation. Try to reuse gloves as much as possible without impacting the safety of our employees.
- Wash gloves with soap and water if possible – to preserve usage.
- Try to limit the number of gloves used per shift, per person, again without impacting the safety of our employees. Change out for breaks/lunch and/or gloves being compromised. The recommendation is to use no more than four pairs of gloves per shift, per employee.
- If processes can safely utilize reusable gloves, facilities should research these options at a local Consider taking used gloves into other parts of the operation that can safely afford to deploy used gloves.
Direct your questions on glove use to your local EHS representative.