Guidelines for Cleaning and Disinfecting Work Areas
Cleaning & Disinfecting Work Areas
Work areas that do not have suspected COVID-19 employees
- Cleaning of work areas is voluntary and is not be required by CoorsTek
- No additional disinfection beyond routine cleaning is required
- Provide disinfecting wipes and nitrile gloves in each department for employees to clean their workstations if they chose to do so
- Aerosol disinfectants* are also acceptable
- Clean frequently touched surfaces, such as doorknobs and countertops with disinfecting wipes.
Work areas that have had suspected/confirmed COVID-19 employee(s)
- If employees are willing to perform disinfection tasks, follow the PPE and disinfecting protocol below
- If employees are unwilling to perform disinfection tasks, plants are responsible for identifying vendors to perform disinfection tasks
- Close off areas to be cleaned for 2-3 hours before cleaning
- Consider conducting a Foresight 4 Safety High Risk Task Evaluation prior to starting
- Use a cleaning agent known to be effective against COVID-19
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions for use of cleaning agents (some may require a soak time)
- Disinfect areas where the employee(s) were known to have been
- Work area
- Control panels, work surfaces, etc.
- Common areas (cafeteria/lunchroom)
- Office areas
- Work area
* Do not over apply aerosol disinfectants on machine controls like buttons and keypads such that liquid drops could enter into control panels and short out electrical components. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding the types of surfaces these materials can be used on. Aerosol disinfectants may damage equipment and computer display screens or make walking surfaces slippery.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for disinfecting work areas
- Employees should wear disposable gloves and Tyvek gowns for all tasks in the cleaning process, including handling trash.
- Nitrile gloves (or gloves that are compatible with the cleaner being used)
- Tyvek disposable lab coat (or equivalent)
- Additional PPE (such as face shields) might be required based on the cleaning/disinfectant products being used and whether there is a risk of splash.
- Gloves and Tyvek/gowns should be removed carefully to avoid contamination of the wearer and the surrounding area:
1. Remove Tyvek
2. Remove gloves
3. Wash hands after removing gloves
a, Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
b. An alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%-95% alcohol may be used
- Report breaches in PPE (e.g., tear in gloves) or any potential exposures to their supervisor.
- Follow normal preventive actions while cleaning:
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
Cleaning Non-Porous (Hard) Surfaces
- If surfaces are dirty, they should be cleaned using a detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.
- Use products that are EPA-approved against COVID-19
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application and use of the disinfectant
- Alternatively, diluted household bleach solutions or alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol can be used
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application and proper ventilation.
Cleaning Porous (Soft) Surfaces
- For soft (porous) surfaces such as carpeted floor, rugs, and drapes, remove visible contamination if present and clean with appropriate cleaners indicated for use on these surfaces. After cleaning:
- If the items can be laundered, launder items in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions using the warmest appropriate water setting for the items and then dry items completely.
Linens, Clothing, and Other Items That Can Go in the Laundry
- Do not shake dirty laundry; this minimize the possibility of dispersing virus through the air.
- Wash items as appropriate in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If possible, launder items using the warmest appropriate water setting for the items and dry items completely. Dirty laundry that has been in contact with an ill person can be washed with other people’s items.
- Clean and disinfect hampers or other carts for transporting laundry according to guidance above for hard or soft surfaces.